Last week, I took a much-needed PTO day, hopped aboard a catamaran in Newport Beach and set sail to Catalina Island (you can read my outfit post here). Most SoCal locals know Catalina as the mountainous piece of land you can sometimes see off the coast on those rare smog-free days. However, to my surprise, most haven’t visited it. The last time I had was over 10 years ago, before I even lived in L.A., so I was due for a trip.
To be honest, I didn’t remember much to do there. But when the boat docked and I ventured into the picturesque harbor-side town of Avalon, I was overwhelmed by the amount of activities that were offered. Since I only had a handful of hours before we had to head back to the mainland, I wanted to spend my time wisely. Below are the 5 best ways to spend your day on Catalina Island.
- Original Jack’s Country Kitchen // Once you’re off the boat, head straight here for breakfast. This mom-and-pop diner has some of the best in town and is always busy, so be prepared to wait (but it’s so worth it).
- Rent a golf cart // This allows you to explore the island on your own time, at your own pace. They offer rentals for a 2-hour max, which gives you more than enough time to see everything without taking up the whole day.
- Descano Beach Club // After your golf cart ride, head here for an afternoon cocktail. Lounge in the beach charts or sit oceanside to take in the view.
- Shopping // Avalon is filled with so many cute boutiques, some more touristy than others. If you’re into souvenirs, make sure you pick up a Catalina tile, which the island is famous for.
- Marina walk // End your day with a sunset stroll along the harbor. Start at the Casino and make your way towards town. Keep your eyes peeled—you might see some marine life if you’re lucky!
Have more ideas of things to do on Catalina Island? Leave a comment!